Thursday, August 14, 2014

Bridger's Birth Story


The birth of a soul

This post was written by my fantastic, beautiful sister:

The night before my sister, Jennie, got married I went into her room to say goodnight to her.  She was having trouble falling asleep and asked me to "put make up on" her. The tradition of "putting make up on" each other started in elementary school when we would spend the entire time at church entertaining ourselves by pretending to apply make up to each others face. Who doesn't love the feeling of your face being gently caressed (sounds so much more dramatic when I say caressed. caressed>rubbed). I remember staring at her face in the dark tearing up that my "baby sister" was getting married and was so grown up (she is all of two years younger than me, but I think every oldest child thinks of the rest of their siblings as babies.)  Eight years later I found myself "putting make up on" her again and it was such a special moment. I was invited (ok the truth is I really invited myself...but who's counting) to be there when she delivered their second baby boy.  With her first baby she was in a birth center and with her friend April as her doula.  She wrote this beautiful birth story for her.  April couldn't be there this time and I wanted to record this for Jennie.  I really love reading birth stories, so I thought I would post this.

A little background on this story.  Back in March I got an excited text that Baby Taylor #2 would also be a boy.  The next morning I called Jennie.  She listened to me vent about my screaming kids, tantrums, lack of sleep, how I thought she was having a girl and she was just so sweet listening to me go on and on.  When I finally stopped talking about myself I asked how the ultrasound was and then her voice cracked a little when she said, "uhh not good."  She explained that their baby had gastroschisis. I knew she was heartbroken that Bridger would have to have surgery and be in the NICU.  I also knew how much Jennie enjoyed her unmedicated birth center experience with Carter and I worried about how she would handle an induced hospital birth.  Jennie kept a stellar attitude about everything.  She didn't tell anybody except close family until right before delivery because she wanted everyone to be just as excited about Bridger as Carter.  She decided to look at the hospital as a chance to experience something different for L&D.  

She was scheduled for an induction and was to report to the hospital on Saturday, July 26 at 7pm and we were under the impression that the pitocin wouldn't be started until 7 am on Sunday.  Jennie called me at 10 pm to inform me that they were starting pitocin at midnight.  I got to the hospital at about 1:30 am and Jennie and Jordan were both lying awake in a dark room.  I jumped in bed with Jennie and we all were pretending to go to sleep, but it was sort of like one of those junior high slumber parties where everyone keeps saying it is time to go to sleep and then somebody makes a joke or toots (because let's face it that is as good as any joke out there) and then everyone erupts into laughter. I am telling you this was no boring L&D room, it was a good ole slumber party. I guess one of us was having contractions with an IV in her arm, but you would not have known it.  Finally, we all fell asleep for a few minutes(like 15).  

The nurse came and turned up the pitocin and Jennie said it was time to walk.  We walked the halls of the ward for two hours and I think it took that long for her to tell me about the adventures of her Saturday, because we were talking ourselves into a maze and interviewing each nurse about her life history.  We were just chatting away and Jennie had a smile on her face almost the whole time....sometimes the smile looked a little more like a grimace, but she was still attempting a smile. I was just so proud of her and so happy to call her my sister.

 One hilarious moment came when a first year resident told her that it was time for her to be checked again and Jennie replied (with the smile on her face), "oh good, I can't wait for you to shove your short little fingers in me."  The resident totally had a startled look on her face. I was told that the first time she checked her Jennie asked her if she could feel her tonsils yet.  Jennie cracked jokes the ENTIRE time.  She was hilarious. The resident checked her and said, "you are still at two centimeters...no change since I checked you last (8 hours earlier...before pitocin)."   Talk about a blow to your confidence...all that work and contracting and walking and pitocin and NO change.  I could tell Jennie was disappointed.  After the resident left her nurse, Carly, who was the sweetest person,  said, "She seemed a little unsure, maybe it is better than you think" (very diplomatic Carly).  Jennie asked Carly to check her again and it was a good thing, because Jennie was actually 5 cm.  At this point Carly suggested a nice bath and filled it up.  Did I mention that Carly was amazing? We kind of wanted to wrap her up and take her home in our bags.

 Fact: this little off-the-shoulder sexy photo is on purpose because if you are in labor and look this good, you kind of deserve a sexy off-the-shoulder photo.


Jennie was starting to feel the contractions and she just calmly swayed and did her breathing.  There is nothing quite as incredible as seeing the strength of a woman in labor.  I knew what she was feeling and experiencing,  but she was so calm and strong.

 One of my other favorite parts was watching Jordan take such good care of Jennie.  It was really special.  I don't know if I can put it into words better than that. I sure am glad these two have each other.





Jennie LOVED the bath.  It was helping her through the contractions and Jordan and I were taking turns "putting make up on" her and "telling jokes". When the water got cold we decided to be really helpful and fill it up with more warm water.  Somehow we managed to drain all the water and break the drain pull, so Jennie sat in the empty tub shivering and contracting while Jordan figured out how to fix the tub and I sat there eating Nutter Butters...because I am helpful like that.  (I never said I would be a good doula).





After a while Jennie said she wanted to try the epidural.  Jordan and I were both sort of hesitant because she was doing so great and we knew she could do it all on her own, but she explained (you know, between contractions) that she loves trying new restaurants and an epidural would be like trying a new restaurant. Thankfully, none of the new restaurants I have tried recently attempted to stick a super long needle in my spine. They broke her water and then we had to switch rooms to be closer to the NICU.  Jennie said that walk down the hall was really hard because the contractions were coming on so strong and fast.  Finally, the anesthesiologist came and got the epidural in.  As soon as it kicked in, Jennie turned around and proclaimed her love for the anesthesiologist who flatly replied, "tell all your friends."

Jennie was almost giddy for the next hour as she kept asking, "am I having a contraction?!?! I can't even tell."  Suffice it to say, if Epidural were a restaurant Jennie would give it 5 stars on yelp. Little Bridger's heart rate was starting to slow during contractions and the delivery team came  in and said it was go time.  Jennie pushed once and he was here.  The doctor and resident were trying to get little buddy untangled and Jennie was talking to him.  She started to talk to him before he was even here.  The sound of a mother talking to her baby for the first time is magical.  There is a tie and a connection that can't be described completely.   Bridger had to make a very quick exit and we barely had time to snap on picture before they took him through the window into the NICU.  We all were relieved when he started to cry as they passed him through the window.  Bridger and Jennie both got cleaned up and were given some medicine and they got Bridger ready for transport to Primary Children's Hospital.  My mom came right after delivery to be there with Jennie.  Something that I thought was so cool about this day was how our families were all involved in this kiddo's arrival.  My sister, Lauren, held Elliott all night so I could be there.  My dad, Garrett and Lauren all got the kids ready and took them to church.  Jordan's parents were watching Carter. My mom and I were both at the hospital.  I went with Jordan to Primary Children's and my mom stayed with Jennie.  It was really neat to feel like we all had our roles to help out.  He already has a pretty stellar fan club.  








 The transport team brought Bridger in to say hi to mom before he left.  I stood back and got some distant pictures.  I know Jennie and Jordan would have loved to have been able to hold their precious baby right then, but even though they couldn't cuddle him with their arms they did with their words and their love.  I could feel that love from the door of the room.  It brought me tears. I stood their and cried while I watched them discover their new little baby boy and they gave him such a welcome spot in their hearts.  I was so grateful to have been able to witness it.




1 comment:

Shelley said...

So sweet. Seriously laughed and cried. So heart wrenching to see Bridger rushed off like that. I am so glad you've been able to hold him now and that he's doing so well! I am so impressed by your optimism and humor through all of this!